With all the disruptors you have on a daily basis, there is a big chance you might have a problem with falling asleep or sleeping through the whole night.
10 Things You Can Do To Improve Your Sleep.
1. limit caffeine consumption – 1 or 2 cups of coffee in the morning is OK but caffeine is a stimulant, so drinking it in the afternoon or evening can make it more difficult to fall asleep.
2. stop using your cell phone, laptop or pc a few hours before bed – These devices give off blue light, which triggers the pineal gland to stop making melatonin, the hormone which helps us to sleep.
3. check your room temperature – not too hot, not too cold. According to the National Sleep Foundation, sleep experts agree that 65 degrees F is an ideal temperature for sleep, but you need to find your own.
4. don’t drink too much water before bed – Waking up to go to the bathroom may cause difficulty with falling asleep again.
5. meditate daily to reduce stress – Meditation is one of the best ways to reduce stress and quiet the mind. 10-20 minutes of meditation a day can significantly reduce stress.
6. use essential oils to relax – Oils such as lavender, chamomile and lemon balm are known to help the body relax, and can promote sleep. You can mix a few drops with olive oil and rub on your chest or feet, use a diffuser or have an aromatic bath before going to bed.
7. stop eating 2-3 hours before bedtime – Eating can give you a boost of energy and your body is busy with digestion.
8. make your bedroom dark enough – Light from the street or even a digital clock can make more difficult to get to sleep. Get dark curtains or wear a sleep mask.
9. drink herbal tea for sleep – Yogi Brand: Bedtime, Stress Relief Honey and Lavender, Chamomile, Lemon Balm are known for their relaxing properties.
10. get daily exercise to reduce stress – plenty of good exercise during the day can help you fall asleep. Try not to exercise a few hours before your bedtime as it can also energize you.